- Congratulations to the fellowship recipients: Heeju Hwang, Yi-Hsien Liu, and Bin Yin for being awarded a USC Graduate School Dissertation Completion Fellowship; To Yu-Chi Huang for being awarded the the Morkovin/Manning Fellowship; to Hector Velasquez for being awarded a Del Amo Foundation Research Award from USC Dornsife College for 2011-2012; to Ben Parrell, Sergio Robles-Puente, Barbara Tomascewicz, Erika Varis, and Hector Velasquez, for receiving a Del Amo Foundation Research Award from USC Dornsife College for Summer 2011; to Katy McKinney-Bock for being awarded a Gold Family Graduate Fellowship from USC Dornsife College for Summer 2011; and to Sarah Ouwayda for being awarded the Middle Eastern Studies Program Summer Language Scholarship for Summer 2011.
- Congratulations to Erika Varis for giving birth to Remington Dean Doggett was born on April 20, 2011 at 6:21am. He weighed 5 lbs 13 oz (he’s already at 6 lbs 1oz now!) and was 19 inches long.
Summer talks and travel:
Roumyana Pancheva gave an invited talk on “More on Than” on May 27th, in the linguistics colloquium at the University of California in Santa Cruz.
- “Participial clauses in Bangla: an alternative account” Priyanka Biswas
- “Revisiting infinitives: the need for tense in Malayalam” Mythili Menon
- “Finiteness, negation, and the directionality of headedness in Bangla” Andrew Simpson and Saurov Syed